Sunday 19 August 2012

The Roastery

"Taking coffee to a new level"


Like your coffee? Live down south? I know the perfect place. The Roastery. This cafe located in Southern river is well known for their coffee and though I am not much of a coffee drinker myself, I have friends who know their coffee well and are regulars here. 

I have been here twice, both times for lunch and true to its name The roastery has huge coffee roasters which I believe they actually use and bags of different coffee blends on display for customers to buy or taste. You just know you're in good hands in the coffee department here.


During my first visit, I had the signature steak sandwich which was HUGE! it was pretty standard steak sandwich and I struggled to finish it due to it's size..I am a sucker for the word "Signature". I did not order a coffee this first time, but after having a look around and reading the variety of coffee blends they offer with a description of its taste, I was intrigued and knew this isn't going to be another ordinary coffee. What intrigued me was the taste descriptions of each coffee blend from sweet chocolate flavours, blueberry jam, citrus, pine, spices, oat, honey..it's never ending. It's like wine tasting but with coffee, I knew I probably wouldn't be able to taste any of them wih my unsophisticated palate, but I had a chat with my friends who claim that those flavours are evident. The different coffee blends are displayed on the wall and I believe everyday they would change the coffee blend they're using and display it on the blackboard and with that selected blend customers can have it as a latte, long black, cappuccino, mocha..anything their heart desires.

The second time I came I ordered a spicy tomato soup with basil oil  and parmesan toast and I made sure I tried their coffee blend, at that time, they had the "Ethiopia Harrar" on the board with the following description:

Ethiopia HARRAR

Process Method: Dry Processed
Heavy bodied, spicy and fragrant, the Harrar region coffees of Ethiopia are known for their bold aromas and flavours exhibiting wild berries, dark chocolate and jam-like notes in the cup.
This particular Harrar coffee displays blueberry with a jammy sensation and a hint of cinnamon fragrance. It is bold in colour, mouthfeel and aroma. Something of the exciting exists in each cup.

NOW HOW COULD YOU NOT WANT TO TRY THIS RIGHT? [order locked in]

The tomato soup was delicious with a hint of spiciness and a generous drizzle of delicious basil oil, all these components of the dish separates it from all the ordinary tomato soups out there. It was very thick and hearty and the parmesan toast was divine! crispy yet soggy from the parmesan overload and buttery goodness, I wish I had more.

Spicy tomato soup with a drizzle of basil oil and parmesan toast


Now for the long awaited moment, My mocha arrived and it looked GORGEOUS! coffee in a cute looking mug. I took my first sip, placed the cup down, froth moustache and all, everyone waited for the verdict.....and....I THINK I can taste the blueberry =-=''...I don't know if it's just in my head and that I really wanted to taste it but it was definitely different from all the other coffees I've had, it had a slight fruity flavour to it. So yes, I guess I did taste the blueberry?? failed palate aside, I still enjoyed it.

Mocha Ethiopia Harrar blend

I would recommend this place for coffee lovers out there. If you're not much of a coffee drinker like myself just try it out and test your palate, you will be wowed by the coffee art anyways. The menu is rather standard but they usually have different dishes each day, I was lucky to have gone when the tomato soup was up. I also heard the breakfast is pretty good too, I will try to wake up for it next time as I will definitely be coming back.


The Roastery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment